This guide takes you through the steps of sending an email campaign. An email campaign is made up of your settings, email, and subscriber list.
Parts of a campaign
When you send an email with WordFly, we call it an email campaign. An email campaign is made up of your settings, email, and subscriber list.
- Settings: The email campaign settings include your From Name, From Address, Subject line, AB testing options, and Google Analytics options.
- Email: This is the unique email design you are sending to subscribers.
- Subscriber list: Your subscriber lists are emails you have imported and sent to previously or new lists you just imported. You can re-use lists or import new lists for each email campaign.
Send an email campaign
Go to Email > Create a campaign. Start on the Settings step and work your way through each step of the campaign to assign your email design, assign your list, test and then select your send details.
1. Click on Email > Create a campaign
2. On the Settings step, fill in your email campaign name, write in a subject line, select your from name and reply-to address. Click Save when you are done.
- Add a subject line
- Select a From name and Reply to address from the available dropdowns. If you need a new name and address, you can add this in Account > Email Settings.
- Assign a label to the campaign
- Try AB testing by checking I want to do A/B testing on this campaign
- Personalize your subject line with a data field or dynamic tag
- Enable/disable Google Analytics
3. On the Email step, select your email design
Tip: Create a unique email design for each email campaign you send in WordFly. We do not recommend re-using email designs since changing one will change it on any email campaigns you have it assigned to.
- Build an email design using WordFly’s editor. Click Use the WordFly editor.
- Duplicate an existing design. Click Copy an existing email.
- Use an existing design. Click Select an existing email.
- Or, copy/paste your own HTML email design. Click Use my own code.
If you want to try another option after starting, click Select a different email to the right of the email design name.
4. On the Subscribers step, select a list of subscribers to send your email to
- Import a list from a CSV file on your desktop
- Add subscribers manually by copy/pasting those addresses into an open field
- Import a CRM list (e.g., Tessitura List Manager list or Extraction; or a Centaman list)
Do you want to use personalization like First Name, Member Level, or other unique data in your email? It is very important to map your fields during the import process if you are using personalization in your email. How does personalization work?
Once your list is assigned, review the List Summary details.
You will see…
- The top section shows the number of people who will receive your campaign
- The List History section shows how your list was built over time (who imported the list and how many subscribers were not imported because of being a duplicate).
- The Subscribers by Top Domains section shows the top 10 domains of the subscribers in your list. This may help you decide which web-based apps to target when you design your email.
- The Subscriber Issues section shows the addresses who were not able to be imported. You can choose to override some of the issues or re-import failed addresses by selecting Add More Subscribers from the More List Actions dropdown.
After a campaign has been sent, the numbers at the top of this page are updated to show the number of abuse complaints and opt-opts received from subscribers.
On the List Summary, you can use the More List Actions dropdown for additional options:
- Add or remove subscribers from your list
- Segment your list by data fields (including preferences) or events
- Export import issues
- Export a segment
- Suppress a list
If you want to try another list after starting, click Select a different list to the right of the list name.
5. On the Testing step, test how your email looks across email clients and with personalization
- Send one or multiple test emails to stakeholders and seed addresses
- Review your email for US CAN-SPAM and Canadian law requirements and broken links
- Name your links to make your reports easier to read in WordFly and Google Analytics
- Use Inbox Preview to see your email render in-app across 30+ different email clients
6. On the Send step, select your send details and your email
- The sending format: Multipart-MIME, HTML only, or Text only. Recommended format is Multipart-MIME.
- When to send your campaign: Now or In the future
- Then click Send Now or Schedule Now
Learn more about email scheduling options.
Once your click send, you will need to confirm this step:
When you see the progress bar, you’ll know your campaign is being sent. Go to Reporting > Dashboard to open your Campaign and see the results after the campaign is finished sending.
Cancel a scheduled campaign
If you need to cancel a scheduled email campaign in WordFly you can do this from the Send step of the email campaign.
1. Go to Email > Email Campaigns
2. Click on the name of your scheduled email campaign
3. Click on the Send step of the email campaign
4. Click on the Cancel link toward the top of the page.
When the email campaign is canceled:
- The email campaign will not send.
- You will be able to edit any section of the email campaign again (Settings, Email, and Subscribers).
- To reschedule the email campaign go back to the Send step and select to send Now or In the future.