In this article
Track your links in Google Analytics by customizing utm_content tags. First, enable Google Analytics tracking for links and then select the option to customize utm_content. In this article we will review how this tracking is helpful, how to enable this option in your account and how to customize utm_content tags.
Google Analytics is all about reviewing what sources are generating traffic on your site and then how your site is performing (converting customers). Enabling utm_content for your WordFly emails allows you to correlate the clicked link in your email to the traffic on your site. This tag could even help determine how far a subscriber is willing to review your email content if you have a long email that requires scrolling.
Here's what Google says about utm_content tags:
"utm_content: Used to differentiate similar content, or links within the same ad. For example, if you have two call-to-action links within the same email message, you can use utm_content and set different values for each so you can tell which version is more effective."
With utm_content data going back to GA you can sort on this criteria in your GA account, comparing several newsletters with parameters from Sessions to Transactions, Revenue, etc. Use this with WordFly's segmentation feature and you can analyze how the same newsletter to different customer segments performs differently depending on the link placement in the email.
There are a couple steps to customizing utm_content tags in WordFly emails. First, enable this feature in Account > Account Options. Second, go to your email campaign and name your links in the Testing > Full Review section. You'll see your link names appear in the utm_content tag of any clicked links.
First: Enable utm_content in Account > Account Options
1. Go to Account.
2. Under Settings, select Account Options.
3. Under Google Analytics tracking, enable Include Link Name in the utm_content parameter.
4. Save your selections.
Second: Name your links in your email campaign
1. Go to Email > Email Campaigns and click on the name of your In Progress Campaign to open it.
2. Select the name of your in progress email campaign.
3. Select the Testing tab.
4. Under Template Review select Full Review.
5. In the Links section, add names to your links in the open fields to the right of the link.
6. Save your updates in the review section by clicking Save my selections.
Third: See your link names in the utm_content tag of clicked links
Sample with Link Name...
*Sample without Link Name...
- How do I activate Google Analytics tracking?
- How does GA link tracking work and how to review your GA data
- Customize GA utm tags
- Customize the utm_content tag
- Testing GA tracking in your emails