During your onboarding process, or if you decide to implement preferences later, you may need to import your existing subscriber preferences. First, export your subscriber preferences from your existing ESP or CRM. Then import your preference lists into WordFly following these instructions.
Topics covered in this article:
Subscribers can tell you their communication preferences when they subscribe or unsubscribe. Preferences are added to your subscribe and unsubscribe pages. Preferences are created in WordFly under Account > Preferences. Learn more
Each preference you create in WordFly is a data field. When a subscriber opts-in or opts-out of a preference that data is stored on their subscriber record as a data field update. The numerical value for the preference is 1 for opted in and 0 for opted out. Use subscriber preferences to segment your lists so the subscriber receives more targeted content.
Instead of using separate lists for preferences, we recommend importing all your lists with preference values into one master list. We usually recommend making the website signup list your master list.
Import preferences by creating separate CSV files with all your subscribers for each preference, and in one new column of the list add the number for the preference value.
1. Prepare your CSV list for import by adding a new column for the preference value and give everyone a 1 for opted in.
2. Go to Subscribers > Lists, find the master list, click the name of the list and select Add more subscribers.
3. Select Import list from file.
4. In the list import process, under the mapping section, you will map the column for your preference to the corresponding preference data field in WordFly.
Note that the naming doesn't have to match as in our example below but it can be helpful for mapping. This mapping is how WordFly will know what opt-in value to import for each subscriber's preference.
5. Continue this process, preparing each preference list and importing into the master list. This builds your final master list!
Your WordFly subscribe signup will continue to collect signups into the master list and each subscriber will be providing you with their preferences (which saves to their profiles).