In this article
Subscriber Insights is your subscriber health tracking dashboard. Gain insights you can use to build, retain, and target your subscribers. We’ll be adding more charts and actions over time. Let us know what you’d like to see.
Subscriber Insights is a visually engaging reporting dashboard to show your subscriber list metrics over time.
Go to Subscribers > Insights to get started.
Subscriber Insights shows list metrics over time such as:
- Active Subscribers in account
- List growth over time
- How subscribers were added?
- How long subscribers have been subscribed?
- How engaged subscribers are?
- How subscribers are reading emails?
- Where do subscribers live?
- Subscriber activation over time
LIST GROWTH OVER TIME
At the top the Insights page you will see your current ACTIVE SUBSCRIBERS listed. This number represents current subscribers on your list and is a common data point used across all the Insight metrics.
Active Subscribers are any email addresses you have sent to in the past 90 days. Unsubscribed and hard bounce addresses are removed from the active subscriber count the month following the event. Learn more about active subscribers.
List Growth is reviewed on a historical chart that defaults to a yearly view. Use the time toggles to switch between DAY, WEEK, MONTH, and YEAR views. Click the chart to enable interactivity and use mouse or track-pad to adjust time ranges. Mouse over an import spike and see the date of that import.
List Growth shows how your active subscriber count is built over time via WordFly Signup, WordFly Lightbox, and Imports. A steady incline to the upper right is a good sign of a healthy list as it is growing over time. A flat line would indicate stagnant growth and would be a good flag to review acquisition channels and strategies. Any decent to the lower right should be a flag to review your acquisition and retention strategies.
SUBSCRIBER ACQUISITION AND RETENTION OVERVIEW
The How were they added? section addresses how subscribers were added into WordFly. There are three primary ways a subscriber is added to WordFly: via WordFly Signup, WordFly Lightbox, and Imports. In WordFly a subscriber is tagged with their acquisition channel through the data field WordFlyOrigin. You can use origin data field to segment lists. For example, you could follow up with everyone who subscribed recently through WordFly Signup or WordFly Lightbox. Learn more about segmenting by WordFlyOrigin.
The How long have they been subscribed? section addresses your overall subscriber retention rate. WordFly logs a subscribe date when a subscriber is added for the first time via WordFly Signup, WordFly Lightbox or Imports. Subscribers on your list for a few years represent a dedicated group of followers.
ENGAGEMENT OVER TIME
Engagement is a unique WordFly calculation for subscribers and this chart shows your subscriber engagement in a line graph for all active subscribers. Learn more about WordFly's Subscriber Engagement calculation.
You may want to view all your subscribers and engagement data. You can do this in WordFly by exporting your subscribers by account and including the subscriber data fields Engagement Rate as well as Engagement Score with the data export. Then you can analyze all your subscriber's engagement data in one export file.
Do you want to send a discount to your 5-star subscribers? Or increase engagement with your 2-star subscribers? You can use engagement data to segment lists. Learn more about segmenting by Subscriber Engagement Score and segmenting by Subscriber Engagement Rating.
EMAIL CLIENTS OVER TIME
The Email Clients info-graph shows a bird’s eye view of your top email clients across your active subscribers. Learn More about Email Clients reporting.
GEOLOCATION OVER TIME
The Geolocation map shows the 5,000 most recent events in account for active subscribers. The map shows where in the world your subscribers are opening your emails. Learn more about Geolocation reporting.
SUBSCRIBER ACTIVATION OVER TIME
Subscriber Activation shows how your count is built over time by imports and reduced over time due to Hard Bounce Removals, Opt-Outs, and Abuse Complaints. This graph defaults to the weekly view. Use the time toggles to switch between DAY, WEEK, MONTH, and YEAR views. Click the chart to enable interactivity and use mouse or track-pad to adjust time ranges. Mouse over any addition or deduction to see the dates of those actions.
*Picture shows monthly view
You can export your Subscriber Insights data right from the review screen. Export your data and review in CSV formats.
What to expect from Subscriber Insights exported data:
- Subscriber Insights will export as a zipped folder that contains six CSV files (one for each Insight graph) and an information text file.
- Subscriber Insights data is updated every 24 hours.
- Each time you pull the Insight exports, the past numbers change to reflect updated counts of activated and deactivated subscribers. Visually when you review the Insights export you may not notice the numbers changing, but the numbers in the active columns do change in previous months. Every time you pull the reports, compare the numbers and you will see that those change each time subscribers are deactivated.
- Subscribers are activated on specific dates when you send to the email address. Subscribers are removed from the same dates they are activated when the numbers are updated on the first day of the next month.*
- Reporting > Export Data > Subscribers by Account is a real-time export of your active subscribers at that point in time. Keep in mind that comparing numbers from this export on a specific date with the same date in one of your Insights exports will likely never match because subscribers are removed from the same dates they are activated when they are deactivated.*
- Your monthly invoices will contain exact numbers of active subscribers calculated at the end of the month for billing purposes. Download monthly invoices under Account > Invoices. You can use your monthly invoices to pinpoint exactly how many active subscribers you truly had at the end of each month. This number can match your Reporting > Export Data > Subscribers by Account export if you pull it on the first day of the month, before activating any other subscribers. Note that, the invoice totals and the Subscribers by Account export will not match your Insights list growth CSV data as that updates every 24 hours and is a living total that will remove deactivated subscribers from the activated total column.
*Subscriber activation and deactivation is best explained with an example...
Let’s say a subscriber is sent to (activated) on 7/5/2018, but then unsubscribes (deactivated) on 6/5/2019. In the reports:
- Subscriber Activation: The subscriber would be part of the total deactivated for June; and, would also be removed from the activated on 7/5/2018. This is why adding the Activated Subscribers column in the subscriber activation CSV always shows the number of active subscribers as displayed on the Insights page.
- List Growth: The subscriber would be part of the total deactivated for June; and, would also be removed from the activated on 7/5/2018.
- Reporting > Export Data > Subscribers by Account export from 7/5/2018 would show more subscribers than the updated 7/5/2018 activated number pulled today because subscribers activated on 7/5/2018 have become deactivated with future activity.
How to export your Insight data:
1. Select the drawer arrow at the top of the Insights page.
2. Select the option to download as a CSV.
The CSV will download immediately to the folder specified on your machine for internet file downloads.