A data field is essentially the field header in your subscriber list (basically the first column in your spreadsheet). Data fields tell WordFly which data you’re importing with your subscriber list. Data fields can also be used for email personalization and segmentation. Some data fields already exist for you in WordFly. You can also add your own custom data fields.
WordFly data fields
These fields are included in your account by default.
|City||A subscriber's city|
|Country||A subscriber's country|
|CrmSubscriberId||A subscriber's unique customer number from your WordFly integrated CRM|
|A subscriber's unique email address, only one email per subscriber|
|EmailFormatPreference||A subscriber's email format preference (HTML vs Text)|
|First Name||A subscriber's first name|
|Last Name||A subscriber's last name|
|Phone||A subscriber's phone number|
|PostalCode||A subscriber's postal code (zip code)|
|SMS Number||A subscriber's mobile number (use for accounts with SMS enabled)|
|State/Province||A subscriber's home state|
|Street||A subscriber's street address 1|
|DownloadNumber||(Tessitura CRM accounts) A promotion number from Tessitura|
|SourceNumber||(Tessitura/Centaman CRM accounts) A promotion number from the CRM database|
There are also a few additional data fields used for subscriber profiles. They are only updated by WordFly and not by list imports.
|WordFlySubscribeDate||Date subscriber was created in WordFly|
|WordFlyOrigin||How subscriber was added to WordFly: WordFly Signup, WordFly Lightbox, or Import (list import).|
Gold star rating based on engagement score
Calculated based on user activity
Learn more about Subscriber Profile data
To view WordFly data fields
1. Go to Subscribers > Data Fields
2. Filter by the column Type
Any data fields that come up as WordFly are existing data fields in WordFly. WordFly data fields cannot be modified or deleted in your account under Subscribers > Data fields. You can create new subscriber data fields if you need to.
List and Subscriber data fields
There are two types of data fields: List and Subscriber data fields. Most WordFly data fields (except two) are subscriber data fields.
- List Data – Data that is specific to a list and changes often, e.g., Performance Name. List data fields are not saved to a subscriber's record in WordFly because the data is based on a list by list import.
- Subscriber Data – Data that is specific to a subscriber and rarely changes, e.g., Email address, First Mame. Subscriber data is saved to subscriber records in WordFly. You could import First name in one list and WordFly can use that data for future emails without it being imported on the list again.
Create a new data field
If you have a field header in your list and there isn’t a correct match for it in WordFly, you’ll need to create a new Data Field in WordFly before you import your list.
1. Go to Subscribers > Data Fields
2. Click 'Create a custom field'
3. Start customizing your Data Field...
- Type a descriptive name for your data field into the Name field.
- Select a Field Type from the drop-down: List or Subscriber (note the definitions to the right in this window)
- Select a Data Type from the drop-down: Text, Number, or Date. If you select either Number or Date another drop-down will appear to customize the format for this type of data.
- (Optional) Type a brief description of the data field.
- Important: Be sure to only use alphanumeric characters for your data fields. Special characters such as parentheses, commas, and quotes can break your list imports. Dashes, spaces and underscores are acceptable.
4. Click Save to add the data field to your library
Is it possible to edit or delete data fields?
Only custom data fields can be fully edited and deleted. WordFly default data fields and Preference data fields cannot be edited or deleted.
To edit a data field
Descriptions on any data field can be updated.
To edit a data field go to Subscribers > Data Fields and find the data field you would like to edit. Click the name of the data field on the left side. Then select View/Edit to edit the data field description.
To delete a data field
Custom Data fields created in your account can be deleted.
- WordFly type data fields cannot be deleted.
- Preference data fields can only be deleted under Account > Preferences.
- Important: When a data field is deleted any emails that use that data field will no longer be able to pull data into the view email as webpage version of the email which is dynamically created when loaded.
To delete a data field, go to Subscribers > Data Fields and find the data field you would like to edit. Click the name of the data field on the left side. Then select Delete from the two available options.