In this article
Use data fields in WordFly to add personalized content to your emails such as First Name and Last Name. Data fields be inserted in any content field in WordFly including the subject line, body copy, header, footer, or anywhere else you might enter copy.
In Modern Editor you can add your data field using a text area by clicking Add Personalization.
Note: You can always add a data field manually to your email design. Your data field must be added exactly as it is in Subscribers > Data Fields. Data fields are case sensitive. Your casing must match.
To add a data field in Modern Editor
1. In your Modern Editor email, click on a text block from your Email Preview panel.
This will open the Edit Content panel on the left side.
2. Click Add Personalization from the available edit content options.
3. Select the data field from the 'Add data field' dropdown. Click I'm Done when you are finished.
Don't forget to enter any alternate data for that field if the data is missing.
In an email campaign you can add a data field to your subject line using the Insert Data Field link.
Note: You can always add a data field manually to your email subject line. Your data field must be added exactly as it is in Subscribers > Data Fields. Data fields are case sensitive. Your casing must match.
1. Open your email campaign from Email > Email Campaigns.
2. Click on the Settings tab of the email campaign.
3. Click on Data Field to insert a data field into your subject line.
4. You can also enter alternate data in case this data is not available in your list.
5. Click "Insert Field"
The data field will appear in the subject line along with the alternate text if missing.
6. Save your changes
In some cases you’ll be adding personalization to your email, but you may not have complete data for each subscriber. Fortunately, you can add some alternate text that will display when any subscriber is missing data for a specific data field. For example, when you are missing First Name you can have an alternate added in place such as 'Friend' or 'Patron'.
Alternate data when missing personalized data (Modern Editor)
1. Open your email in Modern Editor
2. Click on any text block in the right panel
3. Insert your cursor in the left panel where you want your data field to go
4. From the text block menu, select Add > Data Field
5. Use the dropdown tool to select the data field you want for personalization
6. In the 'If missing, write' field, type in a word that you'd like to appear in case the data for that subscriber is missing
For example, if you're inserting First Name, you might write an alternate word such as 'Friend' or 'Patron' if First Name is missing in your list data.
7. Select I'm Done
The data field and alternate data is now added to your email’s text block.