List Manager lists are usually lists that you will use over and over again. List Manager lists are the only types of lists that can be used by triggered email campaigns in WordFly (and the list can be marked as dynamic).
This article will explain the basics of creating your List Manager list in Tessitura for import into WordFly. For more information or technical advice about List Manager lists, please reach out to Tessitura support for expert guidance.
Topics covered in this article:
1. In Tessitura, from the main navigation select Tools > List Manager.
2. Scroll down to the end of the screen and select “New List” from the List Functions area.
3. This brings up a new window where you can start building your list criteria.
Your list criteria defines who will be included in the list when it is generated. There is no need to select an output set in this view. You will select an output set when you import the list on the WordFly side.
In v12.5 Tessitura, drag criteria from the left side to the criteria panel. Open folders on the left to see specific criteria options.
In v14+ Tessitura, on the Criteria tab, click Add Criteria from the upper right of the web view to search for an add list criteria.
4. When you are done, select “Close” (v12.5) or "Save" (v14+).
v12.5 Tessitura. After clicking Close, a new window will pop up asking you to Save it, click Yes.
5. A new window appears after saving. In this window be sure to:
- Give the list a name. This name becomes the name of the List Manager list. Omit special characters (~`!@#$%^&*+=) when naming your lists.
- Check the TMS box. This has to be checked for WordFly to see the List Manager list.
- Select the Control Group that WordFly has access to. This has to be the same control group used by the TMS_User for your WordFly TR_Organization ID. Many times this is the default control group. Consortium sub-licenses will need to know the correct control group to select.
- (Optional) Check the Dynamic box. Dynamic means the list will automatically update/generate with the latest subscribers at the time WordFly imports the list from Tessitura. This is usually checked for triggered campaign lists. When you check the dynamic option your list in WordFly will display 0 subscribers before the list is imported (this is expected).
That’s it! The list should show up in WordFly after it is created.
List Manager lists are generated in Tessitura, just like Extractions. WordFly requests the list and stored procedures in Tessitura generate the list. WordFly imports the generated file when it is ready.
When List Manager lists aren't working as expected, check these points:
Is the list not displaying in WordFly?
Make sure the TMS box is checked and the correct control group is selected for the list.
Is the list generating successfully in Tessitura?
Sometimes the list isn’t successfully generating in Tessitura. This could be due to promotions timing out, but usually it is more commonly connected to an issue with the list or output set criteria generation. To test for this issue, try one of the following:
- Try importing the list into WordFly without selecting promotion attributes (appeal, media, and source group). Is it successful? If yes, then the promotion attributes may be causing a timeout in Tessitura.
- Try generating the list and output set in Tessitura as the WordFly user. The WordFly use is ideal to use because this user has a control group security and running the list and output set this way can identify control group issues with the list criteria or output set elements. Take note of the generation in Tessitura. If there is an error, this should be resolved in Tessitura. If it takes more than 15 minutes to generate in Tessitura then you should work on criteria optimizations.
The procedures called when a list manager list is generated in Tessitura are:
- STEP 1: GENERATE LIST & PROMOTIONS: wp_tms_generate_list
- STEP 2: GENERATE OUTPUT SET & ATTACH TO LIST: wp_tms_get_list_data
Enable Tessitura logging for more details
If these are set up correctly then we suggest enabling Tessitura logging to get more specific information. Instructions for enabling logging can be found here.