Triggered emails allow you to immediately communicate with your patrons in response to any action in Tessitura. Use dynamic List Manager lists in Tessitura to define who should (and shouldn’t) receive your campaigns. WordFly will automatically send personalized welcome emails, reminders, membership confirmations or expiration warnings and more.
As with other standard campaigns you should plan to test your list and email template personalization. Be sure to review the FAQ's section in this support post as well for the most common questions/answers about Triggered Campaigns.
Topics covered in this article:
- Testing Triggered Campaign lists
- Testing Triggered Campaign Template personalization
- Troubleshooting Triggered Campaign issues
We've put together a few examples of Tessitura Triggered Campaigns you might want to try. Visit these support posts to learn more!
There are three parts to a Triggered Campaign in WordFly:
- Who should receive the email?
- What will they receive?
- When should it be sent?
This post will illustrate these three steps by walking through the process of creating a Tessitura Triggered Campaign in WordFly.
1. Go to Email > Create a campaign.
2. Under Settings, from the type drop-down, select Triggered.
3. Under the Template section, select the Template you would like to use or create a new one.
Since this email will most likely have personalization in the body of the email we need to include data fields. Be sure to add any specific data fields or dynamic tags for your email. Learn more about data fields by reviewing this post.
4. Under Recipients section, assign the list you will be using to the Campaign.
This step is a little different from a Standard Campaign in that you won’t be importing any subscribers just yet. Triggered Campaigns are designed to import subscribers at the time of sending. For these emails you will only be assigning the list that WordFly will use each time the Campaign is scheduled to send. It is expected that the list count will initially be 0 subscribers since the Campaign hasn't imported and sent to any addresses yet.
Only List Manager lists in Tessitura that are marked as 'dynamic' can be used for Triggered Campaigns in WordFly. 'Dynamic' means the list will automatically update/generate with the latest subscribers at the time WordFly imports the list from Tessitura.
After selecting your list ID, select your promotion attributes. This step is required if you would like to send data back to Tessitura.
After selecting promotion attributes, the next section is to map your list data fields to list data fields in WordFly. This steps is important if you plan to have any personalization in your email. For example, if you want performance date as a data field in your Template, you need to map performance date data fields during the map your fields step of the list assignment process.
Select "I'm done" and then "Continue" to finish assigning your list.
5. Test your Triggered Campaign.
Under the Testing tab, use Subscriber Preview to test a subset of your subscribers and to make sure you have all the correct personalized data pulling into the Template. Learn more about testing your Triggered template personalization in the next sections of this article!
6. Under the Activation tab, schedule your Triggered Campaign for sending.
You can select a date to start sending or start sending now. You can send to a subscriber each time they are imported, or you can send to a subscriber one time only. You can send the Campaign hourly, daily, or weekly.
7. Select "Activate" to schedule your Triggered Campaign.
Once you select "Activate" your Triggered Campaign will be scheduled to send for the first time. The Campaign will only send to subscribers that meet the list criteria at the time of sending. Once the Campaign sends it will be rescheduled to send again at the same time at the frequency you set it to send each time.
You can test your triggered campaigns lists to see if your list criteria in Tessitura is set up correctly to pull in the right subscribers. These pointers should help you iron out any kinks before activating the triggered campaign.
- If you're primarily concerned with the list that gets generated then you can test your dynamic List Manager list in Test Tessitura to confirm that the correct subscribers are imported into the list. Start with some basic criteria. You can test your dynamic List Manager list in Live Tessitura without importing into WordFly, just run the list right in Tessitura and review the results.
- If you set up your Triggered Campaign in Live Tessitura and assign a list in WordFly but don't schedule the email to send out, you can test who will be included on that list on the testing tab using "subscriber preview". You'll be able to see any personalization for that Triggered email for the subscriber on your dynamic list. (See next section for using subscriber preview)
- If you're going to be sending performance reminders you might also set up dummy performances that are not available to the website, purchase tickets against the dummy performances and then confirm that your dynamic List Manager list in Tessitura pulls the correct subscriber list.
Open your “In Progress” Triggered Campaign, make sure you have a Template and Subscriber list assigned to the Campaign. Go to the Testing tab, you can test template personalization through Subscriber Preview.
Follow these instructions to test your Triggered personalization:
1. Go to your Campaign and click on the Testing tab.
2. Click on Subscriber Preview.
3. Click Other things you can do.
4. Click Add more subscribers.
5. Select Import Subscribers for Preview.
Your list will be run in Tessitura but promotion records won’t be created. This info will only be used for on-screen previewing and the list will not add any recipients to the real list that is generated later.
The subscriber preview is only pulling in the top 5 subscribers so it will always show the first few that you imported for preview even when the list changes for the next send. If you wanted to see more people on the list you can type in any letter to the Search bar under subscriber preview. For example, type in “@” and select Search, this will pull back every subscriber record providing a much longer list. You can also just search for a subscriber that you know should be on the list.
Take note: If you change any output set elements which require you to re-assign your list, you must re-import for Subscriber Preview for the newest data to come through in the preview results.
If your triggered Campaign didn't send when it was scheduled there are a few things you can check to start troubleshooting.
- First, check to see if the list was generated in Tessitura and if it contains any subscribers. If the list ran but there were no subscribers that met the criteria that might be why the Campaign never sent but remains scheduled to send.
- Second, check the Output Set used by this Campaign. If the Output Set used here doesn't have any fields defined then the Triggered Campaign will still run every day but when it runs the list in Tessitura the empty Output Set causes the import to fail. Once the Output Set is fixed up it should work as expected.
- Third, if the issues still continues, email us to get help.
To stop or pause a Triggered Campaign in WordFly go to the campaign's Activation tab.
1. Go to Email Campaigns
2. Click on the name of your sending Triggered Campaign.
3. Click on the Activation tab of the Triggered Campaign.
4. Scroll down to the end of the page and click Pause/Edit.
Why are there 0 subscribers after assigning my dynamic List Manager list?
It is expected to have 0 subscribers when you initially assign your list to your Triggered campaign. This step is a little different from a Standard Campaign in that you won’t be importing any subscribers just yet. Triggered Campaigns are designed to import subscribers at the time of sending. For these emails you will only be assigning the list that WordFly will use each time the Campaign is scheduled to send.
Can I update the list assigned to my campaign?
Yes, you can go to the Recipients tab of the campaign to update the list assigned anytime, even when the campaign is running (not paused). Go to the Recipients tab and select Change list settings, then reassign your list. You must select Save/Continue after making the list assignment updates.
How can I update my email template when the Triggered campaign is running?
You can edit your Template in an activated Campaign anytime by going to Emails > Email Templates. Make your edits and save your Template. WordFly will always use the latest version of your Template without having to pause the Campaign.
How can I check the list import and sending history when the Triggered campaign is running?
- You can see your sending history anytime under the Activation tab > Sending history.
- You can see your next scheduled deployment anytime under the Activation tab > Sent.
- You can review any import history under Recipients > List history.
Are sources generated with each list import?
Yes, every time WordFly fetches the list every subscriber who meets the list criteria will receive a promotion and source for the list import. If you selected “Only once” in WordFly and a subscriber met the list criteria every time the campaign ran, WordFly would only send the campaign to them once, but they would have a source code for every time the campaign runs. You may consider suppressing subscribers with previous promotions if you those subscribers won't be imported again, this is typical for a Welcome email series.
What should I know about a paused Triggered campaign?
When the Campaign is Paused:
- Triggered emails will not send for the Campaign.
- You can click on the Recipients tab and re-assign your list.
- You can click on the Template tab and assign a new Template by clicking 'start over' next to the Template name.
- You can click on the Settings tab and update the subject line and other options for the Triggered Campaign.
- To reactivate the Campaign go back to the Activation tab and update your frequency settings then click Activate to continue sending these emails.
How long should a Triggered Campaign run before ending it?
For long-running Triggered Campaigns such as performance reminders and welcome emails we recommend starting a new Triggered Campaign each year. Consider coinciding the turnover to a new Triggered Campaign with your fiscal start/end dates. This ensures WordFly continues to run efficiently with your list imports and also gives you the opportunity to review data year-over-year as Triggered Campaign reporting data is cumulative as one campaign.