WordFly comes with a pre-made Forward to a Friend page which you can customize with your own branding. You can also take it a step further and create your own custom page which is hosted on your web site. Let's review what this feature is and how to set it up in this support article.
Topics covered in this article:
Forward to a Friend is the best way to forward an email onto another recipient because it sends a properly formatted HTML email to the next email address (unlike using the forward in your email client which will only send a distorted version of the original email). Forward to a Friend is a 'best practice' dynamic link in WordFly emails that allows a subscriber to send a version of their email to another recipient. All WordFly Modern Editor starter email templates have Forward to a Friend built into the Footer section.
Example of this link in the Footer area of an email:
In a sent email, clicking on the Forward to a Friend link will take the subscriber to a landing page where they can type in email addresses of friends and then send the exact same HTML email onto a friend. After the form is submitted, the subscriber is taken to a confirmation page.
The new recipient is not added to any lists when they receive a forwarded email and any opens/clicks or other email responses are not recorded. Each subscriber is allowed a maximum of 10 Forward to a Friend email sends for the email they received.
WordFly tracks how many times the email was forwarded using the Forward to a Friend link under Reporting > Sent Campaigns > Campaign. You can check your Forwards under the Sharing tab of the Campaign's reporting results.
*Do you post your WordFly archive URL on your website? All Forward to a Friend links in your archive URL are inactive and no not allow subscribers to forward any emails onto friends.
Learn how to set up your WordFly Forward to a Friend landing pages.
1. Go to Account.
2. Select Forward to a Friend.
3. Customize your branding with all available options.
Select a Content Theme and a Background Theme to apply brand styles. Hover over text and image areas to select options for editing content. Use the Other things you can do dropdown to revert back to the default page.
4. Select Save & Publish to make your changes live.
Learn how to create a custom Forward to a Friend landing and confirmation page that still utilizes the WordFly forwarding functionality. This step requires some custom coding that you will need to receive from our team. Review these steps and let us know if you are interested!
1. Go to Subscribers > Dynamic Tags.
2. Click Create a new tag.
3. For 'type' of tag, select Link.
4. For 'link type' select 'Forward to a Friend' and fill out remaining areas.
Fill out the remaining areas:
- Give your tag a name
- Add some link to text, it's up to you what text you put here. You might try "send to a friend" or "share with a friend"
- Select the All Custom option
- Enter the URL of your hosted form page. (Your form will need to meet certain coding requirements in order to work correctly. Please contact us for the code.)
- Enter the URL of your hosted confirmation page. (No special coding requirements are needed)
5. Click Save to add your dynamic tag to the library.
Now you can copy the URL and add it to any email template as your Forward to a Friend redirect.
Once you have finished setting up your Forward to a Friend page you can follow the steps in our support article to add this best practice link to your email design: