In this article
A data field is essentially the field header in your subscriber list (basically the first column in your spreadsheet). Data fields tell WordFly which data you’re importing with your subscriber list. For information on applying a data field to your email template, how personalization works, as well as other tips, check the Learn More section.
Some data fields already exist for you in WordFly, those are all marked as type WordFly. Here's the list: City, Country, Crm Subscriber Id, Download Number (Tessitura), Email, Email Format Preference, First Name, Last Name, Phone, Postal Code, Source Number (Tessitura), State/Province, Street. Learn more about WordFly data fields in this article.
There are two types of data fields: List and Subscriber data fields. Most WordFly data fields (except two) are subscriber data fields.
- List Data – Data that is specific to a list and changes often, e.g., Performance Name. List data fields are not saved to a subscriber's record in WordFly because the data is based on a list by list import.
- Subscriber Data – Data that is specific to a subscriber and rarely changes, e.g., Email address, First Mame. Subscriber data is saved to subscriber records in WordFly. You could import First name in one list and WordFly can use that data for future emails without it being imported on the list again.
If you have a field header in your list and there isn’t a correct match for it in WordFly, you’ll need to create a new Data Field in WordFly before you import your list.
1. Go to Subscribers > Data Fields.
2. Click 'Create a custom field'.
3. Start customizing your Data Field...
- Type a descriptive name for your data field into the Name field.
- Select a Field Type from the drop-down: List or Subscriber (note the definitions to the right in this window)
- Select a Data Type from the drop-down: Text, Number, or Date. If you select either Number or Date another drop-down will appear to customize the format for this type of data.
- (Optional) Type a brief description of the data field.
- Important: Be sure to only use alphanumeric characters for your data fields. Special characters such as parentheses, commas, and quotes can break your list imports. Dashes, spaces and underscores are acceptable.
4. Click Save to add the data field to your library.
Only custom data fields can be fully edited and deleted. WordFly default data fields and Preference data fields cannot be edited or deleted.
EDITING A DATA FIELD
Descriptions on any data field can be updated.
To edit a data field go to Subscribers > Data Fields and find the data field you would like to edit. Click the name of the data field on the left side. Then select View/Edit to edit the data field description.
DELETING A DATA FIELD
Custom Data fields created in your account can be deleted.
- WordFly type data fields cannot be deleted.
- Preference data fields can only be deleted under Account > Preferences.
- Important: When a data field is deleted any emails that use that data field will no longer be able to pull data into the view email as webpage version of the email which is dynamically created when loaded.
To delete a data field, go to Subscribers > Data Fields and find the data field you would like to edit. Click the name of the data field on the left side. Then select Delete from the two available options.
- How personalization works (list mapping)
- Data Fields: WordFly's default data fields
- Data Fields: Creating new data fields, updating and deleting
- Data Fields: Date and number data fields
- Data Fields: Importing HTML into data fields
- Data Fields: Inserting data fields into a Modern Editor email
- Data Fields: Creating personalized URL with data fields
- Data Fields: Using dynamic images with data fields
- Data Fields: What if first name is missing for my subscriber?
- Testing personalization with Subscriber Preview