In this article we'll review what segmentation in WordFly is all about, how to start using it and where to find more information.
Topics covered in this article:
WordFly's segmentation feature allow you to target a specific portion of your subscriber list based on any data you've imported or any event response created from a previous WordFly campaign, e.g., Opens, Clicks, or Forwards. For those using the Tessitura integration, you can segment by source number.
All segmentation is created and applied inside an email campaign. You’ll find the feature on the Subscriber List step when you’re creating a standard email campaign. When you create a new segment, you will be asked to define the requirements. Only subscribers who meet the requirements defined in the segment will be included in the Email Campaign.
Segmentation only includes subscribers in a campaign's list. You can use the operators to suppress subscribers, but it does only include. You can fine tune how multiple segments are applied by selecting whether the subscriber must meet 'Any' or 'All' the segments.
- 'Any' means the subscriber can meet any one of the segments and will be included. Even if a segment does not include the subscriber they would be included if one segment does include them.
- 'All' means the subscriber must meet every segment to be included. If the subscriber does not meet even one of the segments the subscriber will not be included.
Once a segment is applied, it will dynamically update if more subscribers meet the criteria or if any stop meeting the criteria. WordFly checks after 2 hours have passed since the segment was made. Think of the segment like a rule or a filter being applied to the list. Once applied, it will always be looking for subscribers who meet that criteria.
Let's review how to add a segment to your email campaign's list. All segmentation is created and applied inside an email campaign.
First build your email campaign and import or select your subscriber list. You will add your segment on the subscriber list summary page.
1. Go to Emails > Create a campaign.
2. On the Settings tab, fill in the information for a standard Email Campaign.
3. After the Settings page, you'll normally set up your Email Template, but you can skip that step for now. Go straight to Subscriber Lists by clicking on the Subscriber List tab.
4. Import or select your Subscriber List.
5. On the List Summary page, select Segment Your List from the Other Things You Can Do menu.
6. Select which type of requirement you'd like to segment by.
7. Use the drop-downs to define the details. When you’re ready, click Add to Segment.
8. (Optional) Repeat steps 6 and 7 as needed.
9. Select whether Any or All of the requirements must be met in order to include a person in a segment.
The Any and All requirements help fine tune how multiple segments will be applied to the segment filter.
'Any' means the subscriber can meet any one of the segments and will be included. Even if a segment does not include the subscriber they would be included if one segment does include them.
'All' means the subscriber must meet every segment to be included. If the subscriber does not meet even one of the segments the subscriber will not be included.
10. When you're done selecting your options, select Save & Apply to List.
When you send your campaign, only the subscribers who meet the requirements will be included in the campaign.
On the Subscriber List step of your Email Campaign, select Edit next to the Segment summary. This will take you to the Segment Your List page where you initially built your segment. You'll be able to modify the requirements of your segment as needed.
1. On the Subscriber List step of your Email Campaign, select Edit next to the Segment summary.
This will take you back to the Segment Your List page where you initially built your segment.
2. Click Delete in the lower-left corner.
Your Campaign will now be sent to the entire Subscriber List.
- Segmentation: Introduction and sending a campaign to a segment of your list
- Segmentation: Save and Export your list's segment
- Segmentation: Manage saved segments
Review some of the most popular ways you can segment your list:
- Segment by data field (Send an email to subscribers with a specific data field)
- Segment by opens (Send an email to subscribers that have opened a specific email)
- Segment by clicks (Send an email to subscribers who clicked on a specific link in a Campaign)
- Segment by preferences (Send an email to subscribers who clicked on a specific link in a Campaign)
- Segment by WordFly Subscriber Profile data fields (WordFlyOrigin, WordFlySubscribeDate, EngagementScore or EngagementRating)
- Suppress a sent to list from a new email
- Suppress my WordFly Signup subscribers from a new email
- Suppress 'customers' from my prospect list (CRM integrated accounts)